When it rains, it pours. Yes, we like to be masters of the OBVIOUS! 😛
Sometimes you just get caught in the rain while driving. It happens. When you do, here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Slow down! Check the speed limit where you are and stay close to it, if not below it.
2. Try to keep a safe distance from the other cars on the road. If other cars are driving fast, let them pass you freely while YOU stay at a safe speed.
3. Make sure your headlights are on. Visibility is compromised in heavy downpours, so you want your car to be as visible as possible.
4. Maintain situational awareness at all times. This is not the time to be fiddling with your iPhone/iPad, talking on your cell phone, or doing anything else except concentrating on the road. Turn the radio down (hell, turn it off even) to help maximize your concentration.
5. Avoid making sudden movements, such as sudden lane changes, sudden braking, sudden turning, etc. Gradual, smooth movements are safer. You are not driving a slot car or race car!
6. Make sure your wipers are on and your seatbelts are fastened. These are obvious things, but hey, do it anyway!
7. Drive with both hands on the wheel and in the proper driving position. None of this one-hand-draped-over-the-wheel and seat-reclined-all-the-way back stuff.
Here’s a BMW 335i driving in heavy rain. As the rain eases up, the spires of the country’s tallest temple come into view over the horizon!